Maintaining a well-balanced diet is particularly important for those undergoing chemotherapy or another type of cancer treatment, but one of the leading side effects preventing patients from eating well is a change in how food tastes. It’s necessary to alleviate this and other obstacles to healthy eating in order to preserve the strength needed for chemo treatments and guard against infections. A healthy diet for chemo patients may perhaps even help cancer patients better cope with increasing levels of certain types of medications.
When suffering from challenges with changes in taste that prevent adhering to a suggested dietary plan throughout cancer treatment, the following cancer nutrition tips from Montebello Home Care can help:
- Try varying food temperatures. For some people undergoing cancer treatment, cold food is more palatable, providing less fragrance than hot foods, which might increase feelings of nausea.
- Experiment with a variety of seasonings. Marinades, herbs, and spices can make food more enticing. Several options to try include mint, garlic, rosemary, lemon, dill and basil.
- Focus on oral health. Taste buds can become inflamed by chemotherapy, and bacteria amounts may become out of balance. Cleaning the teeth with a soft toothbrush and mild toothpaste a few times throughout each day, along with visiting the dentist for further suggestions, can be helpful.
- Consume smaller portions. Smaller, more frequent meals are generally easier to digest. Be sure to include plenty of fluids, both during and between meals, as well.
- Try gum and mints. Sugar-free gum and mints, or other flavored hard candy, can help decrease the metallic or bitter tastes in the mouth that can occur from chemo treatments. They can also stimulate production of saliva to relieve a dry mouth.
- Partner with a dietitian. A professional dietitian who has expertise in cancer nutrition can help with advising food choices specific to the person’s particular difficulties. The dietitian can also recommend applicable vitamin supplements, high-nutrition liquid shakes, etc.
For more tips to overcome changes in taste or other side effects of chemotherapy, contact the home health services Beaumont, TX, families trust, Montebello Home Care. Our Beaumont home care services can help those going through cancer treatment in numerous ways, such as planning, shopping for, and preparing healthy and delicious meals, supplying accompanied transportation to medical appointments and procedures, and serving as a comforting companion. Contact our team of caregivers at 409-276-7576 to discover more about our professional in-home care services and to request an assessment in the comfort of home. To learn more about all of the areas we serve in Texas, please visit our Service Area page.