The holiday season can be loaded with a whirlwind of busyness for the seniors we love, with family gatherings, holiday parties, religious events and services, selecting the ideal gifts for the ones they love. Yet after the holiday decorations are packed away and families have gotten back to the everyday busyness of life, many older adults experience a prevalent but little-discussed issue: post-holiday loneliness.
Although older adults who live alone are most at risk of feelings of seclusion and sadness when the holiday celebrations are complete, all seniors are prone to a case of the blues as they look to the approaching year while reminiscing over years past. It’s crucial for family members to formulate a plan to help a senior loved one enjoy a positive transition. Give some thought to the following post-holiday elderly care tips:
- Plan for the next get-together. Determine a date in the coming weeks for another family event, providing the older loved one as well as the rest of the family with something pleasing to anticipate. For instance, schedule an informal New Year’s resolution check-in gathering for the last week in January, where each person can report on his or her progress towards resolutions that were made, and each bringing a dish to share a potluck meal.
- Set up a chain letter. Split the family up into teams of five, and specify a number to each person who would like to participate, i.e., #1 – 5. The person with #1 begins by writing a short letter in the first week of January, mailing it to the #2 person, who reads and then adds to that letter and then sends to the #3 person – and so on. The final person in the chain adds to the letter and sends back to the first person to read, and then a new chain can be initiated. Receiving ongoing mail with news about family members is a great pick-me-up for seniors.
- Partner with Montebello Home Care. Montebello’s trained and experienced care companions are the best solution to senior loneliness! Our caregivers are adept in encouraging seniors to stay socially and physically active through a wide array of interesting activities, according to each person’s interests:
- Reminiscing and conversations
- Puzzles, games, and crafts
- Exercise programs
- Transportation and accompaniment to fun outings
- And much more!
Let us help relieve post-holiday loneliness for the seniors you love, and retain a sense of community, purpose, and connection all throughout the year. We’re available for once-weekly visits up through and including full-time, live-in care and companionship. Contact us at 409-276-7576 to learn more about our Beaumont home health care services and request an in-home evaluation to determine what will work best in your particular situation, and help make your loved ones’ coming year the best one yet! To learn more about the other areas that we serve in Texas, visit our Service Area page.