Tips To Reduce The Risk of Senior Falls
Falling down can be painful, but for an older adult, falling can have devastating effects, including a fractured hip, which can lead to a wide range of additional health concerns. A full one-fourth of all seniors who experience a fractured hip die within six months of the fracture; a disturbing, yet preventable fact about the risk of senior falls. Contact us online or call us at 409-276-7576 to learn how we can help with in home senior care services.
Making a few simple alterations to the senior’s home can help foster a safer environment and help prevent dangerous senior falls. To follow are some easy home modification suggestions from Montebello Home Care, the Orange, TX senior care experts for the surrounding areas, to help reduce the risk of senior falls.
- Replace all light bulbs on a regular basis to ensure there is plenty of lighting in the senior’s home
- Use nightlights or motion detector lights for enhanced visibility at night
- Be sure there are no electrical cords stretched across walking areas
- Use low pile carpet or slip-proof tile
- Remove all throw rugs, or secure them with non-slip tape
- Utilize contrasting colors with paint, furniture and carpeting to designate changes in surface types or levels
- Do not use floor polish
- Add grab bars to walls around the tub and beside the toilet, sturdy enough to support an adult’s full weight
- Add slip-proof strips or mats in and around the bathtub
- Use a wall-mounted liquid soap dispenser on the shower wall
- Utilize a portable, hand-held shower head
- Add a padded shower or bath seat
In addition to these ideas, there are plenty of products available to help with preventing senior falls at home, such as:
- Door Alarms: If your loved one has a propensity to wander, particularly at night, door alarms can alert you or the senior’s caregiver that he or she is moving about and could be in danger of falling.
- Monitoring Systems: Monitoring systems are a popular and efficient way to keep track of a senior’s movements in the home. Sensors can be positioned throughout the home, and some even include calling capabilities for the senior to alert a caregiver if a fall or other emergency is experienced.
- Fall Management Footwear: These products feature rubber grips on the bottom to help prevent slipping, and are suitable for seniors who are at a heightened risk for falling. There are even water-proof, slip-resistant socks that can be worn in the bath or shower.
- Bedrails: Many elderly falls happen during the night as seniors move about in their sleep or get up to go to a different room in the house. Bedrails can keep older adults from falling out of bed and provide something to grab onto when standing up to get out of bed.
With so many older adults deciding to age in place at home rather than moving into a nursing home, it’s imperative to ensure the home is as safe as can be. The professional home care team at Montebello Home Care can help families evaluate the risk of senior falls in the home, make home alteration recommendations, and provide the skilled, compassionate care seniors need. Contact us today to learn more about our services for home health in Orange, TX and the areas we serve at 409-276-7576. To find out if our home care services are available in your community, please visit our Service Area page.