The CDC shares that upwards of 1/3 of all older adults fall every year, and surprisingly, fewer than half of them discuss those falls with their doctors. When an older adult falls, even if it does not result in serious injury, he or she can develop an increased fear of falling, which can lead to limited activities, reduced mobility, reduced physical fitness, and eventually, an enhanced risk of another fall.
In our previous blog post, we outlined some home alterations you can make to give senior safety a boost and lower the risk of a fall. Additionally, there are certain exercises that older adults can do regularly that will increase muscle strength and improve balance, not only helping to reduce the risk of falls, but also providing the senior with more confidence and overall improved wellbeing. Check with your loved one’s doctor first, and then try the following fall prevention exercises, as suggested by the team in at home care for seniors at Montebello Home Care:
- Leg Lifts: Raise the knee as high as your hip (if possible), using a sturdy object such as a chair to maintain balance. Hold the leg up for three seconds or more.
- Flex and Point: In a sitting position, point the toes and then flex them. Repeat with both feet.
- Toe Taps: While seated, simply tap the toes, repeating with alternating feet.
- Sit-to-Stand: Use a chair for support to stand and then return to a seated position. Attempt to gradually decrease reliance on the support as legs are strengthened.
- Calf Muscle Strengthening: Hold onto a wall, chair or the kitchen counter, and then repeatedly raise up and down on tiptoes. As strength increases, try to go higher up on the toes and eventually attempt the movement on one foot at a time.
- Shin Muscle Strengthening: Stand and lean against a wall with heels placed 7 – 8” from the wall. Lift the toes of both of feet off the ground as high as possible.
- One-legged Stand: Holding onto a secure object, raise one leg off the ground and maintain balance on the standing leg.
A fall at home can be devastating for an older adult. Contact Montebello Home Care, experts in at home care for seniors, to learn more about fall prevention and how to help a senior you love safely improve mobility. Call us any time at 409-276-7576 or complete our simple online contact form to get started and learn more about our top-rated home home care in Nederland and the surrounding communities.